(This article has affiliate links to products which we may make commission from at no extra cost to you.)
Looking for best places to visit in Europe this summer? Here’s our list of 15 beautiful European destinations you should not miss out visiting.
Summers in Europe is unlike other places in the world. Pleasant sunshine, breezy beaches, vibrant festivals, magnificent palaces, colorful street arts, museums, gorgeous landscapes and a lot more make Europe an ultimate choice for visitors to spend their summers. With so many fabulous destinations in Europe it becomes difficult to decide where to go. So here we have a list of 15 incredible destinations in Europe you must consider visiting during summers if you haven’t already.
The best times indicated to visit these places in Europe are based on pleasant summer temperatures when you could enjoy them to the fullest.
Best Places To Visit In Europe This Summer
1. Edinburgh, Scotland : The Athens of the North
From breath taking monumental landscapes to world class festivals, Edinburgh – the capital city of Scotland is one of those vibrant cities that can never fail to impress you. The captivating cultural and lively vibes are exhibited by a host of renowned events held throughout the city more prominently during summers. Apart from the festivities, you can also visit the city’s glorious landmarks including Edinburgh Castle, Arthur’s Seat, Holyrood Palace, Summerhall, Scottish Galleries, Cathedrals and Museums. With lots of amazing places to eat, Edinburgh is also a foodie’s retreat.
- Best Time To Visit Edinburgh : June till August with average temperature ranging from 10 °C to 19 °C.
- Must Do’s : Make way to the Fringe Festival (the biggest arts, comedy and theater festival), Beer gardens, cycle around the Holyrood park, BBQ picnic at The Meadows gardens, go hiking to the Arthur’s seat and Carlton hill.
- Best Places To Visit : Edinburgh Castle, Camera Obscura & World Of Illusions, Palace of Holyrood, National Museum of Scotland, Scott Monument, Royal Botanic Garden, Greyfriars Kirkyard, Craigmillar Castle.
If you are on a trip to visit Scotland’s iconic castles, getting a Scotland Explorer Pass would make the trip easy on your pocket.
2. Barcelona, Spain : Ideal and Lively Summer
Gorgeous architectures, mountainous nature scenes, historical monuments, beaches, street performances, lively night life and numerous musical festivals makes Barcelona the most popular city in Spain. For foodies, Barcelona spans about 20 Michelin starred restaurants to serve you with mouth watering international dishes. This city is also home to one of the most unique buildings in the world, Sagrada Família designed by the legendary, Antoni Gaudí.
- Best Time To Visit Barcelona : April till June and September till October with average temperature ranging from 20 °C to 27 °C. July till August become quite humid with temperature ranging up to 30°C.
- Must Do’s : Visit the Sagrada Família, party at the concerts and fests happening throughout the city, enjoy the delightful views of the city from Park Güell, hit the beach, watch the magic fountains of Montjuïc.
- Best Places To Visit : Sagrada Família, Casa Batlló, Columbus Monument, Sagrat Cor, Santa Maria del Mar, Montserrat
3. Budapest, Hungary : The Festive Capital
This is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. With wonderful architectures, serenity, rich historical landmarks and dazzling night life, the city has so much to offer. The tranquil Danube river splits it into two cities – Buda and Pest. Buda has all the castles, scenic monuments surrounded by the hilly areas while Pest is full of modern architectures and activities. The view of stunning night scenes of the city and lightings from the Danube river would leave an enchanting impact on you. Summers is also the time for the Budapest summer festival which is a host to a variety of concerts, musical shows, theater and dance performances.
- Best Time To Visit Budapest : April till July with average temperature ranging from 10 °C to 27 °C.
- Must Do’s : Cruise at the Danube, soak yourselves in the Széchenyi’s outdoor pools and ancient bath houses, stroll across the Chain Bridge connecting Buda and Pest, Fisherman’s Bastion for stunning views, picnic at Margret Island.
- Best Places To Visit : Buda Castle, Heroes Square, The House Of Terror Museum, Imre Nagy, Gellert monument, Memento Park, St. Stephens Basilica.
4. Amsterdam, Netherlands : The Charming Beauty
The Dutch capital, Amsterdam is one gem of a city to visit in Europe. The picturesque canals, world class museums, interesting architectures, beautiful parks, pleasant weather and bustling night life makes Amsterdam a summer haven. The best way to explore Amsterdam is through bikes or walking tours. During summers there are numerous festivals, concerts and entertainment activities organised on the canals and parks.
- Best Time To Visit Amsterdam : May till August with average temperature ranging from 17 °C to 22 °C.
- Must Do’s : Boat ride across the canals, party at the concerts taking place on the canals, stroll through the Red Light District, wander through the Jordaan area.
- Best Places To Visit : Rijksmuseum, Royal Palace, The National Monument, Van Gogh Museum, Anne Frank House, Vondelpark
5. Prague, Czech Republic : The Golden City
Prague, an impressive city that lies on the Vltava River is home to one of world’s most beautiful bridges, the Charles Bridge. This bridge is known to have stood through the testing times of history. Prague’s Gothic churches, Baroque style architectures, bridges and world class museums will mesmerize and amaze you. The ongoing activities such as instrumental music, magic shows, puppet shows and mind games on the streets of Prague would keep you entertained while you are exploring the city by foot. Also do not miss out on visiting the breath taking Prague Castle which is the largest castle complex in the world. Prague also rightfully has many nicknames such as “The Heart Of Europe”, “City of a Hundred Spires”, “The Golden City” and “The Mother Of Cities”.
- Best Time To Visit Prague : April till June with average temperature ranging from 17 °C to 24 °C.
- Must Do’s : Stroll across the Charles Bridge, catch some panoramic views from old town tower, check out the Astronomical clock, wander through the streets of Old Town Square, visit the Dancing House
- Best Places To Visit : Prague Castle, St. Vitus Cathedral, John Lennon Wall, Strahov Monastery, Petrin Tower, Old Town Hall, St. George’s Basilica, St. Nicholas Church, Kama Island
6. London, UK : An All Time Favorite
Attracting about 19.8 million visitors a year, London is the second most visited city in the world after Bangkok. The city is loaded with numerous attractions, historically significant architectures, incredible museums, beautiful parks, creative art centers and a lot more. It is a favorable place for couples too as they can take a one night break and escape to the countryside to enjoy the falls. Some of the most famous and unmissable attraction on this city on the Thames are the royal Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, Big Ben, Tower Of London, Westminster Abbey, Westminster Palace, the British Museum and the London Eye.
- Best Time To Visit London : May till August with average temperature ranging from 15 °C to 22 °C.
- Must Do’s : Relax or go biking at Hyde Park, admire the Italian and French artworks at National Gallery, Walk through the Tower Bridge, Visit the Trafalgar Square.
- Best Places To Visit : Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, London Eye, Westminster Abbey, British Museum, Natural History Museum, Madame Tussauds, Richmond Park.
7. Rome, Italy : A Fascinating Wonder
With so many incredible attractions to see and remarkable museums, Rome is a city that fascinates everybody. It’s iconic landmark, the Colosseum is a sight to behold and amazingly picturesque. The city is filled with many archaeological sites, museums, palaces, culture and art galleries that would keep you spell bound. You can also find roman statues and artifacts at all the major attractions in Rome. The Fontana di Trevi, known to be the wishing fountain in Rome is also a must see in the city.
- Best Time To Visit Rome : April till June with average temperature ranging from 19 °C to 28 °C.
- Must Do’s : Explore the ancient ruins at the Roman Forum, relax near Fontana di Trevi (aka Trevi Fountain), climb the Spanish steps at Piazza di Spagna, visit the Vatican museums, wander through Trastevere,
- Best Places To Visit : Colosseum, St. Peter’s Square, Pantheon, Galleria Borghese, St. Peter’s Basilica, Palazzo Venezia
8. Lisbon, Portugal : Rich Heritage and Historic Architecture
Lisbon, the capital city of Portugal is one of the prettiest cities in Europe that takes you close to it’s rich history and cultural traditions. The pastel shaded houses, historical and religious buildings, interesting street arts, the fabulous nightlife and the trams running through the city present before you a cool amalgamation of new and old times. With lots of exploration sites to explore, Lisbon in no time will become one of your favorite cities in Europe.
- Best Time To Visit Lisbon : March till June with average temperature ranging from 18 °C to 25 °C.
- Must Do’s : Admire the street art, Take a ride on tram 28 from Martim Moniz to Campo Ourique, wander around Alfama, take a day trip to Sintra, Cruise along the River Tagus
- Best Places To Visit : Belém Tower, Cabo da Roca, Jerónimos Monastery, São Jorge Castle, Praça do Comércio, Lisbon Oceanarium, Eduardo VII Park
9. Interlaken, Switzerland : Adventure and Beauty
Nestled between crystal blue lakes and surrounded by some of the Alps highest peaks, is one of the most charming towns of Switzerland, Interlaken. Summers are the best times to visit Interlaken, as there are so many adventurous and fun filled activities to do and see. This destination has so many things to offer whether it is for thrill or it’s scenic beauty which makes it one of the most loved cities in the world.
- Best Time To Visit Interlaken : June till September with average temperature ranging from 17 °C to 20 °C.
- Must Do’s : Take a hike up or ride a funicular to Harder Kulm for the best views, paraglide over the lovely lakes, cruise on Lake Thun and Lake Brienz, wander through the town center, go for white water rafting
- Best Places To Visit : Jungfrau, Gimmelwald, Murren, Lauterbrunnen, Schynige Platte
10. Berlin, Germany : Ideal German Summer
The German capital, Berlin is a city full of impressive and unique sights. It is home to the Museum Island which is one of the best museum complexes in the world. The Museum Island has also been recognized as World Heritage Site by UNESCO. The incredibility of Berlin lies in it’s gorgeous parks, beautiful architectures, art galleries, amazing museums and historically significant attractions. With so many sights to visit and things to do you are definitely going to cherish your summer holidays in Berlin.
- Best Time To Visit Berlin : May till September with average temperature ranging from 19 °C to 25 °C.
- Must Do’s : Tour Reichstag and the Glass Dome, admire the art works at East Side Gallery, Berlin TV Tower for the panoramic views of the city, shop at the flea market in Mauerpark on a weekend
- Best Places To Visit : Brandenburg Gate, Museum Island, Holocaust Memorial, Charlottenburg Palace, Berlin Cathedral, Botanical Garden, Charlottenburg Palace, Tempelhof, Checkpoint Charlie
11. Sweden, Scandinavia : An Underrated Northern Beauty
Sweden is a nature lover’s paradise. The country has enchanting landscapes, gardens, archaeological sites, wildlife park, cycling tracks, hiking trails, picturesque islands and magnificent royal palaces. Sweden has something for everyone. Taking a tour of Sweden promises you with a plethora of activities and experiences which would make you fall in love with it. Moving from city to city in Sweden can be easily done through rail journeys that are very scenic.
- Best Time To Visit Sweden : May till September with average temperature ranging from 16 °C to 28 °C.
- Must Do’s : Gaze at the Northern Lights in Abisko National Park or Lapland, Visit the Stockholm Archipelago, sail through Gota Canal, day trip to Kolmarden Wildlife Park, Kaknäs tower for panoramic views
- Best Places To Visit : Gotland Island, Drottningholm Palace (UNESCO World Heritage Site), Gothenburg, Gothenburg Museum of Art, Stockholm, Vasa Museum in Stockholm, Malmö Castle
12. Salzburg, Austria : Paradisaical Summer
This city blessed with nature’s bloom reflected through it’s beautiful surroundings. It stretches along the banks of River Salzach which itself is very picturesque. You will find various forts, cathedrals, live musicals, museums and green landscapes in this very romantic city which makes it look like it has come straight out of your dreams. Salzburg has also been declared as a UNESCO world heritage site and has been attracting millions of visitors every year.
- Best Time To Visit Salzburg : May till October with average temperature ranging from 16 °C to 26 °C.
- Must Do’s : Visit Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s Birthplace, take a walking tour of Altstadt (The old town, Salzburg), shop or wander through Getreidegasse, catch some beautiful views of Salzburg Old Town from Mirabell Palace Gardens, arty at the ongoing musical fests in the city
- Best Places To Visit : Hohensalzburg Castle, St. Peter’s Abbey, St. Peter’s Church, Salzburg Cathedral, Hellbrunn Palace, Residenzplatz Square, Schloss Klessheim
13. Cappadocia, Turkey : Unique Natural Landscapes
Cappadocia is a land of natural wonders. The unique rock formations, unusual fairy chimneys (geological formations formed during ancient volcanic eruptions) and distinctive land formations outcast an otherworldly experience. Visitors love to take the hot air balloon rides along the beautiful skies to gush over the landscapes of Cappadocia. This city also offers many wonderful hiking trails across the valleys. So, if you are visiting Turkey this summer, do not miss out Cappadocia for any reason.
- Best Time To Visit Cappadocia : April till June with average temperature ranging from 14 °C to 23 °C.
- Must Do’s : Uchisar Castle for panoramic views of Cappadocia, take the hot air balloon ride, go hiking trails through pigeon valley and rose valley, watch the sunset from rose valley, stay at one of Cappadocia’s cave hotel, visit a Turkish Bath
- Best Places To Visit : Göreme Open Air Museum, Uchisar, Monk’s Valley, Derinkuyu – The Underground City
14. Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina : Jerusalem Of Europe
If you are looking for a unique destination that is full of intriguing historical stories and interesting architectures, then look no further. Sarajevo is a beautiful city located beside the Miljacka River and is surrounded by the stunning Dinaric Alps. This city was prospering during the eighties and had hosted the 1984 winter Olympics. It later dealt with a three year long siege and was destructed during the Bosnia war. You could still see the signs of the aftermath on some of the buildings of Sarajevo.
- Best Time To Visit Sarajevo : May till August with average temperature ranging from 17 °C to 22 °C.
- Must Do’s : Wander through and shop at the market place in Baščaršija, take in the panoramic views from Yellow Fortress, learn about the war through walking tour, Hike to Trebević mountains.
- Best Places To Visit : Latin Bridge, City Hall, Olympic Bombsled, Sarajevo Tunnel, Sebilj.
15. Galway, Ireland : Cultural Heart Of Ireland
Galway is one of the best cultural cities in Europe. Once you are in this city you will fall in love with it’s vibrant and bohemian vibes. There are many historical structures and architectures with intriguing stories. The arts and musical festival organized in this city are extremely captivating. The lively street markets, pubs and the river side walks with the backdrop of pastel colored stores are also the major highlights of Galway. A visit to Galway is a must for those who want to experience the Irish culture fully.
- Best Time To Visit Galway : June till September with average temperature ranging from 17 °C to 20 °C.
- Must Do’s : Soak in the beautiful views of the Galway Bay from Salthill Promenade, Enjoy the Irish vibe at Eyre Square, Wander through Quay Street (known for pubs with live music), Take day trips to Cliffs Of Moher, Clarinbridge village, Kylemore Abbey, Burren and Aran Islands, cruise along River Corrib
- Best Places To Visit : Galway Cathedral, Dunguaire Castle, Lynch’s Castle, St. Nicholas Church, Galway City Museum, Burren Nature Sanctuary
So, these were the places to visit in Europe you should not miss out this summer. Let us know which ones are you going to explore in the comment section below.
More From Cheerful Trails :
- 11 Tips For Saving Money When Traveling In Europe
- 17 Best Gifts For Men Who Love To Travel
- Self Care Travel Essentials That Every Traveler Must Carry On Their Trips
- 5 Things To Keep In Mind Before Booking A Holiday
Save this post on Pinterest by clicking on any of the below images;